It was a happy, happy day when I arrived at this recipe, but a word of warning before you try it out: do it with people around. I’m quite convinced it was only Joels’ presence when I was taste-testing the final product that kept me from sinking to my knees on the kitchen floor and devouring half the tub.
If you are following a ketogenic or low carbohydrate diet you may wish to make this with almonds, hazelnuts or macadamia nuts instead, as cashews are actually legumes and thus, sadly, quite carbohydrate dense.
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1.5 teaspoons of cold-pressed coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt (optional)
- Spread cashews onto an oventray and roast at 180C / 355F until lightly browned; 10-15 minutes. Stir cashews at the midway point to promote even browning.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for five minutes.
- Place cashews into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal 's' blade and process until desired consistency is achieved.
Nutrition information per 1 tablespoon serve: 51 calories / 213 kilojoules, 4g fat, 3g carbohydrate, 0.25g fibre, 2.75g effective carbs.