Chilly Autumn afternoons call for warming soups, and I favour those with arresting flavours. This Thai inspired soup delivers the much loved combination of chicken and garlic, while also offering a touch of extra heat and Eastern elegance courtesy of the ginger and chilli. Finished off with a generous pouring of creamy coconut milk, this dish is every bit as sumptuous and comforting as it sounds; you won’t be disappointed.
A word on preparation before beginning; many cooks choose to finely shred kaffir lime leaves to promote fuller flavour in stocks and broths, however I find the leathery texture unbearable and prefer instead to tear the leaves into large pieces, which can easily be removed at the end of cooking. Let your preferences guide your practice to ensure satisfying results.
Vegetarian or vegan cooks could easily substitute tofu or tempeh for the chicken, replace the chicken stock for vegetable stock and use soy sauce or tamari in place of the fish sauce for a similarly satisfying meal.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 220g chicken thighs, skin removed and sliced into 2cm cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2cm piece ginger root, sliced into thin strips
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, shredded or torn into large pieces
- 270ml full fat coconut milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- &http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg563/valerieh3/ThaiCoconutSoup_zps1abe983f.jpg Thai chicken soup ingredients
- Drop the coconut oil into a 2 litre (or 2 quart) capacity saucepan and melt over a medium-low heat. Add the red onion and chilli flakes and continue to fry gently, until the onion softens and the chilli starts to tickle your nose.
- Add chicken and cook stirring until lightly browned. Scatter the garlic and ginger over the chicken and fry for a further minute.
- &http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg563/valerieh3/ThaiCoconutSoup2_zps041b52b4.jpg Thai chicken soup and onions
- Pour in the chicken stock and place the kaffir lime leaves into the pan.
- &http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg563/valerieh3/ThaiCoconutSoup3_zpsf04ab7ea.jpg Thai chicken soup with stock
- &http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg563/valerieh3/ThaiCoconutSoup4_zps2c5a5ea6.jpg Thai chicken soup with kaffir lime leaves
- Increase heat to bring the stock to a slow simmer; do not bring to a full, rolling boil. Allow the chicken to cook for 10 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice.
- &http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg563/valerieh3/ThaiCoconutSoup5_zps2d6c1256.jpg Stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice
- Remove the kaffir lime leaves and ginger strips and garnish with coriander leaves, chopped peanuts or extra chilli if you so fancy. Enjoy.
- &http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg563/valerieh3/ThaiCoconutSoup6_zps49892914.jpg Finished Thai chicken soup
Nutrition per serve: 628 calories / 2628 kilojoules, 52g fat, 32g protein, 9.5g carbohydrate, 1.5g fibre, 8g effective carbs.